- Tap Contacts and then tap the plus sign in the top right-hand corner of the Contacts screen. The Add Contact window opens.
- Type in a name, SID, or email address and Jabber searches for potential matches.
- Tap the desired contact name from the search results.
- Add the contact name to a group or to favorites (optional).
- Tap Done. The name displays on your Contacts list.
Start a chat
- To start a chat, you can go to the Chats screen to see a list of recent chat contacts, or you can go to the Contacts screen and tap a contact's name.
- A chat window opens up. Type your message and tap Send.
Start a chat from search
- Another option for starting chats is to go to the navigation drawer and type in the name of the person you wish to contact in the search bar. This method will search both your list of known contacts and your work directory.
- Tap the name of the contact in the search results to begin the chat.
Based on Stanford University IT: Jabber for iPhone: Chat and Add Contacts