Watch How to Create a New Form and Add Questions in Google Forms:
Add and edit questions, headers, and page breaks
Once you’ve created a form, you’re ready to start adding the questions you’d like to ask. If you’d like to give your form some structure, you can also add section headers and page breaks.
Add questions, headers, and page breaks
Add a question
To add a question to your form, click the arrow next to the Add item button and select from the following question types:
- Text — respondents provide short answers
- Paragraph text — respondents provide longer answers
- Multiple choice — respondents select one option from among several
- Checkboxes — respondents select as many options as they’d like
- Choose from a list — respondents select one option from a dropdown menu
- Scale — respondents rank something along a scale of numbers (e.g., from 1 to 5)
- Grid — respondents select a point from a two-dimensional grid
Clicking the Add item button — and not the arrow — will initially give you the default question type, text. Once you’ve added a question, you can change its type by selecting from the Question type menu.
When you’ve selected your question type, you can then fill in the possible responses to your question. If you want to further explain your question, add a description to the Help text field. If you want to prevent respondents from leaving a question blank, check the Required question box, which makes sure users answer a question before submitting your form.
Add a section header
If you'd like to divide your form into sections to make it easier to read and complete, add a section header. From the Insert menu, select Section header.
For each section header, you can add both a section title and a section description.
Add a page break
If your form is lengthy and you’d like to make it easier for respondents to fill it out, you can add page breaks. From the Insert menu, select Page break. New pages, like section headers, can have both a page title and a page description.
Edit your form
Edit questions, headers, and page breaks
For each question, header, and page break you’ve added to your form, you can perform the following actions:
- Edit: To edit an existing item, just click the Edit button to the right of the question you want to edit.
- Duplicate: To duplicate an item, click the Duplicate button to the right of the question you want to duplicate.
- Delete: To delete an item, click the Delete button to the right of the question you want to delete.