For students using reading assistive tools for web pages, Canvas course pages that contain images can be modified to not read the file name.
Canvas Images - Accessibility Modifications - Watch Video
- On a Canvas page, select the Edit button.
- Highlight an image and select Image Options.
- You can either,
- Update image file name to Alt Text (e.g., DaysoftheweekMonday.jpg -> Monday) and select Done.
- Select Decorative Image if you would like the text reader to skip the image/image name and select Done.
- When finished editing the page images, select Save.
Note: Ensure students don't use AT to acquire quiz answers. If you are using images in a quiz multiple-choice/matching question, you may want to rename the image to NOT be the image name. (e.g., Which image represents the olfactory organ? nose.jpg --> Image A)